What is a Building Services Consultant?

They are responsible for the design and planning of the Mechanical, Electrical and Public Health (MEPH) Systems, to operation a building safely and be environmentally friendly.

Because Building Services Consultants more commonly deal with Mechanical and Electrical services, they can sometimes be referred to as M&E Engineers.


What types of buildings do Building Services Consultants assist on?

All of them. It can be anything from schools, individual apartments, hospitals or offices.


When should you appoint a Building Services Consultant?

The best time to appoint a consultant is at the beginning of a project. As Building Services Consultants can influence a building’s architecture. This can be from the health and wellbeing of its occupants to the sustainability and energy demand of the building.

Architects can design the most beautiful or complex building, but without the building services being introduced effectively it’s not going to work.

 – Julia Evans (CEO of BSRIA)*

However, Building Services Consultants are not just for new builds. They can also assist with refurbishments, repairs or even just providing information for existing buildings. Whether this be a boiler replacement, air con unit installation or dilapidation schedule.


Do Building Services Consultants carry out the installation?

A consultant provides specialist designs, advice or other services in relation to the project, whereas a contractor carries out the physical building works.


What can QuinnRoss Consultants offer you?

With over 20 years of experience in the field, we have the expert knowledge to help assist your needs.

Our Engineers have worked on a variety of sectors, on projects of all sizes. We not only provide MEPH services, but also Energy and Sustainability. To view our wide range of services, click here.

If you would like further information or a quote, please get in touch via our Contact Page.


*Interview with Designing Buildings Wiki. Link